Burneston St Lambert SE 308849
Back to Wensley Deanery
A large aisled Perpendicular church. West tower with recessed stone spire.
A peal of six bells hung for full circle ringing. The fourth bell could well date from the building of the tower. The former tenor would appear, from its inscription, to be the work of Samuel Smith of York.
Bells 5, 6, and 1 showing the steel frame ends for bells 5 and 1 with the tenor pit extending into the louvre window.
Inscriptions1 CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1874.
2 CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1874.
GOD IS GONE UP WITH A MERRY NOISE.
4 + S LAMBERTVS + BELFORTH LAMBERTE : SALVENTVR : SPONSA : QVE PERTE5 IESUS BE OUR SPED 1621
6 RECAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1874.
GLORIA IN ALTISSIMIS DEO 1696
JOHN THORNEYCROFT HARTLEY VICAR
Frame and Fittings
A Mallaby of Masham installation from 1874. The wooden frame has steel ends to some of the pits to accommodate all six bells on one level in this modest tower. Traditional wooden headstocks with plain bearings. Some work has been carried out to the pulleys in recent years.
A two train flat bed clock by Potts of Leeds 1906.
ARA July 2004