burton leonard St Leonard SE 328639
Back to Ripon Deanery
History The original church was built in the early 13th century but in 1779 a petition was presented at the quarter sessions at Knaresborough for financial aid to rebuild the church because, "the steeple and a considerable part of the roof are already falling down".
Bell One bell hung for swing chiming in a bell-cote. The clock also strikes on this bell. In 1764 records indicate that there were "two bells and their frames" but the rebuilt church possesses just one bell, a survivor from the old church.
|1||Samuel Smith II of York||1711||3-1-20||26.625"|
Inscription VOCO VENI PRECARE CORRIGE DISCE MORI 1711
Frame and Fittings The bell hangs from a steel bar headstock with lever and clapper which probably date from 1984 at which time the bell was "inspected". At that time it hung from a timber headstock by its six canons. A clock hammer strikes the bell externally.
Poppleton BURTON LEONARD (St. Leonard). One bell.
VOCO . VENI . PRECARE . CORRIGE . DISCE . MORI . 1711
Clock There is a clock case at the west end of the nave containing a weight driven two train clock by Potts of Leeds dating from the 1880s.
Framed information sheet in church.
Visited: ARA October 2002