hornby St Mary SE 222937
Back to Wensley Deanery
Large church with tall west tower. Base of tower is 11th century with a perpendicular top stage.
Four bells hung for full-circle ringing though not rung for some years. The two trebles have six canons each but the two tenors are without.
|1||Samuel I Smith||1695||5.25 cwt||30.5"||C|
|2||James III Harrison||1793||6.25 cwt||32.625"||B|
|3||James III Harrison||1793||8 cwt||35.5"||A|
|4||James III Harrison||1793||10 cwt||39.0625"||G|
1. IB: VENITE
 EXVLTEMVS  DOMINO  1695 [89 four times and a small part]
Below: IOHN AWTON CHVRCH S [SS Ebor (No. 1) ten times]
THO: PLACE WARDEN
Rev Thomas Kirkby Vicar: [ornamental band
Below: Anthony Stelling & George Outhwaite Church Wardens, 1793. [ornament]
Lower waist: James Harrifon of Barton-upon-Humber Founder. [ornament]
3: Below: THIS BELL WAS GIVEN TO THE
PARISH CHURCH OF HORNBY BY WILLIAM LORD CONYERS
IN THE REIGN OF HENRICI SEPTIMI: AND BEING BROKEN WAS RECAST
BY THE LORD D'ARCY AND CONYERS THE SECOND OF THE NAME 1656:
AND WAS AGAIN RECAST 1793: JAMES HARRISON OF BARTON-UPON-HUMBER FOUNDER. [two pieces of geometric ornament]
4: IB: THIS BELL BEING BROKEN WAS RECAST
BY HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF LEEDS ANNO DOMINI 1793: [rose ornament (214)]
Below: JAMES HARRISON OF BARTON ON HUMBER FOUNDER.
Although presumably cast at the same foundry at the same time the inscriptions of the two tenors are very different in style to that of the second. Notably the "Church Wardens" on the second is in a black letter font with ornamental capitals.
Frame and Fittings
The bells hang in wooden frame for four but laid out for six. The frame, and presumably the fittings, date from the 1898 rehanging by Mallaby of Masham. At present they are deemed unringable and this may be partly due to their being hung in the very top stage of a tall tower. As can be seen from the photographs the frame and fittings, though neglected, are not beyond use. Woodworm attack is evident in some of the smaller timber parts but the frame appears sound.
All the bells are fitted with an Ellacombe Chiming Apparatus which has been adapted (unwisely?) to use the clappers of the two tenors. This is in regular use.
A two train late twentieth century clock - electrically driven - and sounding the hours on the tenor. The case of a previous clock is still in existence and there is evidence of other clock hammers indicating a three train clock with possible ting-tang quarter chimes.
ARA October 2004 and August 2010