hunsingore St John the Baptist
Back to Ripon Deanery
Built in 1867-8 by Kirk and Parry of Sleaford, Lincolnshire at the cost of Joseph Dent of Ribston Hall.
A peal of six bells hung for full circle ringing. They are now unringable though various attempts to restore them to ringable condition have taken place over the decades - the last being in the 1980s. With its exposed position and large open louvres the weather has corroded the ironwork supporting the bells to the extent that at least one strap has completely broken. The bells are chimed regularly from an Ellacombe chiming apparatus. The front four bells have six canons each whilst the heaviest two have just four each.
|1||John Warner and Sons, London||1868||27.5||F|
|2||John Warner and Sons, London||1867||28.5||E flat|
|3||John Warner and Sons, London||1867||29.375||D flat|
|4||John Warner and Sons, London||1867||32.25||C|
|5||John Warner and Sons, London||1867||35||B flat|
|6||John Warner and Sons, London||1867||38||A flat|
Each inscription band has: CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1867. (Except the treble which is dated 1868.)
In addition they are inscribed on the waist:
1: GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST
2: ON EARTH PEACE.
3: GOOD WILL TOWARDS MEN.
4: WE PRAISE THEE.
5: WE WORSHIP THEE.
6: WE GLORIFY THEE.
HUNSINGORE (St. John Baptist). Six bells.
1. GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST
2. PEACE ON EARTH
3. GOOD WILL TOWARDS MEN
4. WE PRAISE THEE
5. WE BLESS THEE
6. WE WORSHIP THEE
Frame and Fittings
Traditional fittings dating from the installation of 1867/8. The wooden frame has metal ends on one end each of bells 1, 5, and 6. All bells have an Ellacombe hammer. The tenor is pictured below.
A letter from the Ringing World of 1963 gives some detail of one of the rescue attempts.
ARA 8th April 2009