kirkby fleetham St Mary SE 281957
Back to Wensley Deanery
Perpendicular west tower - the rest of the church contains work from the 11th to the 19th centuries.
Three bells hung for full-circle ringing though unringable and being "clocked". The treble is a rare example of the work of Joseph Bradwell (q.v. Arkengarthdale) and is of distinctive tone.
|1||Joseph Bradwell of Richmond||1824||4 cwt||29.375"||D|
|2||York foundry||C15||6 cwt||31.375"||C|
|3||York foundry||C15||8 cwt||35.25"||B / B flat|
The treble is uninscribed.
Second: + Sce Iohirs Ora Pro Nobis [Shield with three bells] Richard Pette
Tenor: + Ave Gracia Plena Dominus Tecu [Shield with three bells]
Frame and Fittings
Large wooden frame with all braces having queen posts, braces from sill to queen posts and end posts (Pickford type 5.P with end posts). With the exception of some additional timbers the frame appears to be all of a piece and may date from the casting of the two tenors. Wooden headstocks - that on the tenor being exceptionally tall - stays attached to the wheels, plain bearings, unusual one-piece wheels - that on the tenor being of better craftsmanship than the others.
Kirkby Fleetham Hall
A cupola on the north of the front range contains a single bell.
ARA July 2010